Are You Addicted to Scrapbooking?
Being addicted to scrapbooking is very different from other addictions. Many women will argue that this is a good addiction and will have a whole list of reasons to defend their position.
If you think you are a scrapbooking addict, you are definitely not alone. This is a habit that affects mostly women from all walks of life ranging from age 6 to 96. (This age range is just an estimation. There might possibly be scrapbookers who are below 6 year of age and above 96 year old.)
Followings are some of the claims that scrapbookers are making about this scrapbooking craft.
- Scrapbooking is an outlet for untapped creativity.
- Many stressed office workers or home-makers say that it is therapeutic.
- It enables the scrapbooker to discover and get in touch with herself.
- It enables one to widen ones circle of friends.
- It makes one see the world from different perspectives.
- It turns every experience, good and bad, into good materials for journaling.
So when do you know that you are addicted to scrapbooking? What are the tell-tale signs that you are hooked?
Symptoms of a Scrapbooking Addict
Addicted to Scrapbooking : Beginner Stage
- Looking into drawers and old photo albums for photographs.
- Start visiting scrapbook stores.
- Browsing through scrapbooking magazines at the bookstores.
- Going to the craft section of your local library searching for scrapbooking books.
- Searching online for scrapbooking informations.
- Asking questions: e.g. What is acid free paper? Where can I find acid free glue? What is cropping?
Addicted to Scrapbooking : Intermediate Stage
- All the above in beginner stage.
- Put aside some money every month for scrapbooking supplies.
- Bought a personal digital camera.
- Carry camera most of the time.
- Taking scrapbooking lessons at the local scrapbook store.
- Scrap most weekends.
- Start going for field trips to take photographs.
- Have a good knowledge of the different kind of paper; e.g. mulberry paper, vellum, double-sided, white core, textured paper.
- Know who's who; Heidi Snapp, Keepsake Memories, Tim Holts, and other big names in the scrapbooking industry.
- Some exercise mantras : scrapbooking, rub ons, die cuts, memories, acid free, journaling, rubber stamps, clear stamps, 12 x 12.
- Scrapbooking tools and supplies took over the dining table and area.
- Subscribe to at least one scrapbooking magazine.
Addicted to Scrapbooking : Advanced Stage
- All the above in beginner and intermediate stage of addiction.
- Taking photos everywhere and of any and every situation.
- Carry a notebook everywhere. Jotting down notes most of the time.
- Scrap weekday evenings and all weekends.
- Waking up in the middle of the night to scrap or write in the notebook.
- Spend lunch hours at the nearest scrapbook store.
- Begin to frequent hardware stores.
- Buy a sewing machine dedicated to scrapbooking only.
- Begin learning about the different kind of stitches; e.g. backstitch, french knot, cross stitch, feather stitch.
- See layouts in every magazine cover and even while watching television programmes.
- Exercise program : Stamp and Crop
- Love going to birthday parties, and weddings.
- Have a scrapbooking room filled with all kinds of scrapbooking tools, supplies and stuff.
- Look for more storage solutions to store paper, embellishments, and other scrapbooking stuff.
- Spend every single cent on scrapbooking materials.
- Attend overnight scrapbooking workshops.
- Dream about scrapbooking.
- First thought on waking up : scrapbooking layouts.
- Last thought before sleep : scrapbooking layouts.
- Reading materials before sleep : scrapbooking magazines.
- Travel with an extra luggage full of scrapbooking supplies.
- Vacation destination : Scrapbooking cruise
- Places of interest when traveling oversea : craft and scrapbook stores
- Have your own scrapbooking library of every scrapbooking books and magazines.
- Submitting scrapbook pages to publishers.
- Getting published! Celebrate by buying more supplies.
- Introduce yourself as a scrapbooker.
Above are some indications of being addicted to scrapbooking at different stages.
When one is at the advanced stage of being addicted to scrapbooking, there is no likely hope of turning back. It is a road of no return and one is most likely spending her waking hours scrapping and night hours in scrapbooking dreams or vice versa.
So if you are still in the beginner or even intermediate stage of being addicted to scrapbooking, you still have time to change your mind - sell your scrapbooking stuff on eBay and get a new addiction...I mean hobby.
Creating keepsake memories
for generations to come.
Return from addicted to scrapbooking to simple scrapbooking